Learn to speak British

Today I thought I'd tell you about a great English to American dictionary which Engine Room regulars on both sides of the Atlantic might find interesting. Yes, I know it should be called a 'British to American' dictionary, but it was written by a Brit and I have to respect his choice of title...

Anyway, as well as the obvious Britishisms such as bloke, the dictionary also lists less well-known differences that sometimes throw the writers on our magazine (paraffin vs kerosene, for example).

I'm adding it to the list of language resources over on the right.

Incidentally, the blog is starting to get picked up by the search engines now. If you search for 'British word bloke' on Google, for example, we're tenth. Wooh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

woo spelt with a "h" at the end? crazy.

JD (The Engine Room) said...

I spell lots of things with an 'h' at the end. Huh! Hah! Fish! etc...

Anonymous said...

Sarah? ;)