So near and yet so far

Today I have a few nice examples of intelligent writers choosing the wrong word. I don't know if these were just momentary lapses – and we've all been there – or if they came out of confusion over the phrase in question. Either way, they make me laugh.

We'd be hard-pressed to make a decision based on the facts we garnished

Should be 'garnered'...

Many sufferers tend to suffer in silence, which can only exasperate the problem

'Exacerbate', perhaps?

We need to set a president as to what technology should be used

'Precedent' is the right word here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...just heard a great one...

A friend just wrote me a message on Facebook and I damn near wet myself...

"...I cannot be asked...."

I think she meant "arsed"....JD where does that phrase stand in the OED???

I use it all the time...