McCain makes high-profile apostrophe error

I don't want The Engine Room to become one of those blogs that is fixated on misplaced, missing or inappropriate apostrophes (not that there is anything wrong with that in itself, of course; it's just that other blogs do it so much better).

However, this one is a real cracker (click for a larger image):

McCain advert scanned from the back of the London Lite, 17 November 2008 issue

So this is an ad by multi-billion-dollar food company McCain. A full-page ad, on the outside back cover of the London Lite newspaper – which has a readership of 1.1 million. And look at that apostrophe.

I suddenly feel much better about my own mistakes. And can anyone come up with a higher-profile apostrophe error?

I do quite like 'caressive', though.


(For those who can't see the image, the copy in the advert reads: "Stop! Stop! I lied, as I bit into the pert roundness of the goose fat smothered potato, instantly sending caressive plumes of steam gushing from it's soft, fluffy centre like a hot breath on my lips.")

2 comments:

The Ridger, FCD said...

Seems to me there should be a hyphen or maybe two, as well.

Ellen Kozisek said...

Somehow, I read that over and over, and didn't spot a apostrophe, except the one, in the upper right, "It's all good", which belongs there. Then I read your typed out copy of the text and it jumped out at me.