'Receive Quid From the Government'

I just logged into StatCounter to see how The Engine Room was doing when I spotted this ad:

Receive Quid from the Government
'Get a few quid' perhaps, but never 'receive quid'. I think I'm safe in saying that this copy wasn't written by a native British English speaker.

In fact, Google gives only 576 results for "Receive Quid" (and almost all of those follow their 'quid' with a 'pro quo').

Unfortunately, the ad changed before I thought to click on it - and no matter how many times I refresh StatCounter it won't come back. So I'll probably never find out how to receive quid from the government.

I wouldn't know what to do with 11,286 quids anyway.

3 comments:

Harry Campbell said...

Here's another from the same school, which I've seen popping up countless times: ONE TIP OF A FLAT [or even worse, TINY] BELLY. No native speaker would ever come out with that. Anyway how can it have a tip if it's flat?

The Ridger, FCD said...

And houldn't it be "an" 11,287-pound check?

The Ridger, FCD said...

errr, cheque. Sorry!